Information for Cruise Passenger Visitors
If you are coming to Kauai on a cruise ship and would like to visit the monastery and temple, the following information will be helpful.
- There are two temples at our monastery, the small Siva Nataraja temple called Kadavul Temple and the new, all stone Iraivan Temple which is still under construction.
- Kadavul Siva Temple is open daily between 9am and 12 noon for puja worship, and after 10:45am for exploring.
- During its construction, Iraivan temple is open to visitors who have made reservations for a guided tour, which starts sharp at 9am. See our Public Tour page for details.
- The monastery is closed after noon and all afternoon to tourist visitors.
- So make sure you plan to visit us first! Do your shopping and local sight-seeing after you come the temple. Remember: 9am to 12pm each morning.
Travel and Visit Time Guideline
- You should plan for at least 1/2 hour travel to the monastery and 1/2 to get back to the boat if you are going by taxi. If you are renting a car, you will need to add time for pick up and return.
- It will be best to have at least 1 hour here. Therefore you should allow at least 2 1/2 hours if the temple is your only stop. If the boat departs late in the afternoon, come to the temple first and do your sight-seeing second.
- Car Rental: Car rentals are done near the airport, which is a 10-minute drive from the dock. This is your least expensive option. The car rental companies have shuttles that you can take from the dock to pick up your car.
- Taxi: You may hire a taxi to bring you to the monastery and then call a taxi, or arrange for one to return and take you back to the boat at a pre-arranged time. This can be a good option if you plan to be here all morning (arriving at 9 am and staying until 12 noon) Taxis charge about $40.00 each way.
- Hire a driver: Most cab companies offer rates for longer periods, e.g. 4-8 hours at about $60.00 an hour. If you can afford this, it is a convenient way to first come to the temple, have the driver wait, then have him take you sight-seeing and shopping. The drivers are very familiar with the area.
- Kauai Bus Services: Kauai's bus service does not come to the temple.
Please go to our main visitor's page for more details.